Thursday 29 March 2012

Stitches

So 4 weeks post op and the dreaded stitches have not disappeared yet! Now thinking back I was never actually told they were dissolvable and I am really just guessing they are. Little bits have gone but the vast majority are still well and truly there. And oh my god!! They hurt like a bitch if you catch them!! I am praying when I go to my appointment next week the ortho doesn't decide to yank them out!!!! Eeeeeeek!!

I was never told to use salt water rinses just to use a medicated mouthwash twice a day for 2 weeks! After speaking to other jaw surgery patients they all said they did salt water rinses and are still doing them. So.... I have got on the bandwagon and I am rinsing what feels like all day long!!

2 comments:

  1. heyy not to sound wierd or anything, i was just searching open bites on google and your pic came up. i am having a very difficult time accepting mine. I had my braces taken off four years ago and mine came back with a month. I did not have corrective surgery, the braces seemed to keep things closed momentarily. it kills me to mention that in order to put them back on and have surgery I have to pay 3800 for the braces. its really upsetting, i hate my jaw so much. i talk to many people about it but no one seems to understand. so i thought someone who has/had the same thing would understand haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey of course that doesn't seem weird or anything!! I am just glad I can help you out even if it is just having a chat about it and understanding what you are going through.

    Where do you live? I'm in the UK so my braces and surgery were free on the NHS even though I am over 18. (Which I know is really lucky!!) I totally understand where you are coming from, its horrible to live with and I get so worried about relapse. Apparently for us open biters there is a higher chance of relapse even after surgery!

    Its not just being self conscious about how you look but a big part of it for me was the pains I started getting. I never had problems when I was younger but as the years went by my jaw caused me all sorts of problems. Having an open bite also makes it SO difficult to eat!!

    Have you been and spoke to any surgeons about your case? x

    ReplyDelete